Router is a device which helps in computing as it forwards from one router to another router through the network that constitute and internet until it reaches its destination node. Passwords of Cisco router helps to protects for accessing to privileged exec and configuration modes as well as it helps to enable password can be recovered, but the enable secret password is encrypted and must be replaced with a new password.
The following are the step-by-step procedure in order to Reset Cisco Router Password:
- At first you must have Cisco router to reset your password either by switching off or by making shut down to the router.
- You need to remove the compact flash which is on the rear of the router.
- You can take much information and for that you may refer to Back Panel Slots and connectors on the Cisco 2921 and 2951 routers and after that you have to switch on the router and once the router is on rommon mode then you can reinsert the compact flash.
- 0x2142 write the seat the rommon 1> prompt for booting from a flash and these are a step by passes that startup a configuration where you had stored the passwords.
- Now type resetat the rommon 2> prompt as the router reboots, but ignores the saved configuration.
- You can press Ctrl-Cor you can type no after each setup question in order to skip the initial setup procedure.
- Now you need to type enable at the Router> prompt as you are in enable mode and should see the Router#
- After that type configure memory or copy startup-config which is running-config for copying the non-volatile RAM into a memory and for your information you don’t enter any copy running-config startup-config or write it because these commands erase your startup configuration.
- Issue the show running-config command as the show running-config command shows the configuration of the router and in this configuration, the shutdown command appears under all interfaces, which indicates all interfaces are currently shut down.
- Passwords that enable passwords as well as enable its secret and console passwords which are either an encrypted or in an unencrypted format as you can reuse unencrypted passwords so that you must change encrypted into a passwords to a new password.
- Now hostname (config) #prompt appears after typing configure terminal
- You have to type enable secret password for changing enable as a secret For example- hostname(config)#enable secret cisco
- On every interface there is no shutdown command which you use and if you issue a show IP interface brief in command then every interface which you want to use should display
- You need to type config-register as <configuration_register_setting> where <configuration_register_setting>is either the value you recorded in step 2 or 0x2102. For example: hostname (config) #config-register 0x2102.
- Now you can end or press Ctrl-zin order to leave the configuration mode and the hostname # prompt appears.
- At last you just need to type write memory or copy running-config startup-config for committing the changes.